Thursday, February 19, 2015

Baby Oatmeal Muffins

At his 12 month doctor's appointment I found out my son is anemic. He's been taking iron supplements for a month now, but I really would like him to be off that and start getting his iron from his food. Baby oatmeal is fortified with iron, and is really good for babies. His doctor recommended that I start feeding it to him, but he's always refused it. He won't let me feed him with a spoon anymore, he doesn't know how to use one yet, and I think he doesn't like the texture or something... It's just never been something he would eat. So I came across a recipe for muffins using the baby oatmeal. While I was making them I was skeptical that he would actually take a bite, but he DID! Not only did he take a bite he ate an entire muffin. No spitting, no throwing, no whining, no stink face... Success!
The Recipe
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar ( I used slightly less)
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup dry infant oatmeal cereal*
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup natural unsweetened applesauce**
3 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon

* I used Gerber oatmeal and banana cereal.
** I used one one small apple, steamed, and pureed.

I found the original recipe on Pinterest, but I changed it a little so it had less sugar and more applesauce. Next time I will use a little less flour and a little more oatmeal cereal. The original recipe also called for the ingredients to be mixed and combined in a specific way, but I just went down the list and dumped everything in one bowl.
Here's where it gets a little tricky. I was supposed to put the batter in a 24 count muffin tin, and fill each cup all the way. I used a 12 count non stick muffin tin, and filled each cup halfway.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees, and cook for 5 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and finish baking until a toothpick comes out dry. The original recipe didn't say how long this would take, but in my oven it took slightly less than 10 minutes. The baking time will vary based on your oven

Just a heads up, the batter is very thick and you'll think you need to add more liquid to it, but you don't. Once they finished baking they weren't ass dense as I thought they would be. My 13 month old had no trouble at all gobbling one down.
ENYOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment